Coconut Curry Soup with Chicken, Chickpeas and Hearty Greens
SERVES: 8 PREP TIME: 10 min COOK TIME: 25 min
1 tbsp Olive oil 1 Large onion Diced - 2 Red bell peppers Diced - 4 Cloves of garlic 1 - 14 oz can diced tomatoes 1 - 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 4 cups Chicken stock 2 - 14 oz cans full fat coconut milk 2 Tbsp Red curry paste 2 tsp Fish sauce Juice of one lime 1.5 lb Chicken breasts, sliced thin 2 cups Roughly chopped kale oe spinach. Salt to taste. Fresh cilantro
1. Sauté onions and peppers in olive oil over medium heat. Sauté until onions are just tender. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes, curry paste, chicken stock and chickpeas and bring to rapid simmer. Stir until paste is dissolved. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice, bring back to a simmer and allow to cook for 10 minutes. 2. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes at a simmer until chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and add kale/spinach. Cook for 3 more minutes and serve as is topped with fresh cilantro.
Cream of Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup with Cilantro- Lime Sour Cream
8 large red bell peppers
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup tomato paste
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup sweet corn kernels, lightly roasted
Cilantro Lime Sour Cream, recipe follows
Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream:
1 cup sour cream
1/2 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon finely minced fresh cilantro leaves
Slice the peppers in half lengthwise; remove stem, seeds and membrane. Place under the broiler skin side up until the skin turns black and blisters. Remove and immediately place in a small paper bag or plastic container with a tight lid. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes; this will loosen the roasted skin. Remove peppers and rub off the black skin with your fingers. Chop skinned peppers and set aside.
Saute the butter, onions, and garlic until soft in a heavy bottomed soup pot on medium-low heat. Add the reserved red peppers, tomato paste, and chicken stock. Bring to a low boil, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cornstarch mixed with a little cold water to thicken. Simmer 5 minutes. *Let the soup cool slightly, and then blend in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender to puree. Sprinkle the roasted corn over the soup before serving and top with a dollop of Cilantro Lime Sour Cream.
Hearty Homemade Corn Chowder
Cozy up to a big bowl of this homemade corn chowder! Easy to make with either fresh or frozen corn, it's a great year-round soup!
Prep Time 15 mins. Cook Time 35 mins. Total Time 50 mins. Servings: 6 servings
8 slices bacon, diced
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 medium onion chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups water (chicken broth or vegetable broth may be substituted)
4 cups canned or frozen corn
1 lb. Yukon gold or baby red potatoes , sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup half and half or heavy cream
Handful of chopped fresh chives Instructions
1. Cook bacon pieces over MED heat, remove to a paper towel and set aside.
2. Use a clean paper towel to absorb some of the bacon grease, reserving about 1 Tbsp. of grease in the pot. Add butter and melt over MED heat.
3. Add diced onions and cook about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add garlic and flour and cook about 1 minute, stirring often.
4. While whisking, pour in water and increase heat to MED-HIGH. Add in corn, potatoes, thyme, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to MED-LOW and simmer.
5. Simmer, stirring every so often, for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender.
6. Use an immersion blender to blend about half the soup until smooth. Alternatively, remove about 3 cups of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Stir the blended soup back into the pot.
7. Add in half and half and about half the chives. Stir in and heat through.
8. Serve sprinkled with remaining chives and cooked bacon pieces, if desired.